top of page

Miramonte Companies Corporate Headquarters Relocates to Historic El Dorado Lodge in Tucson, AZ.

El Dorado Lodge, the preferred historic name for the residence originally known as Stone Ashley and now home to the Mountain Oyster Club, reflects the property’s primary historic association and significance. Located on nearly four landscaped acres, El Dorado Lodge is a large, three-story building. The original two-story residence was designed by architect Grosvenor Atterbury and built between 1934 and 1936 by M.M. Sundt Construction Company in the Italian Renaissance Revival style. The entry drive, lined with Italian Cypress trees, complements this architectural style. The building was constructed using local native fieldstone and hand-hewn brick. When the property was converted into a social club in 1949, a partial third story was added.

The property includes two additional contributing buildings: the original Bathhouse and the B Building, both added during the conversion to El Dorado Lodge. Alongside the main building, there are 5,928 square feet of terraced patios on the southern and western sides, offering views of the Rincon and Santa Catalina Mountain ranges to the north and east. The property maintains a high level of integrity, reflecting both its original architectural character and its function as an important social venue in Tucson (see Section 8, Statement of Significance).

El Dorado Lodge, now the Mountain Oyster Club, is situated on 3.9834 acres on the eastern edge of midtown Tucson, Arizona. It is located at 6400 East El Dorado Circle, one block northeast of the major intersection of Speedway Boulevard and Wilmot Road. Originally set in open desert in the 1930s, the surrounding area has since urbanized. Neighboring properties consist of one-story commercial businesses, two-story residential complexes, and several three-story office buildings, including the El Dorado Health Complex, a small community-based medical facility, all of which were originally part of the historic Stone Ashley parcel. To the south of Speedway Boulevard is the National Register-listed Harold Bell Wright Estates Historic District, a residential neighborhood developed after 1950.

bottom of page